Monday 21 November 2011

Rodarte

The next fashion film i'm going to show you is one for Rodarte's S/S 11 collection by Todd Cole. My love affair with Rodarte is a fairly new one, but it is growing quickly and strong. Their collections are always a breath of fresh air and simply stunning throughout. So, you'd think a film by them ould be equally as great in my opinion? Incorrect.

Don't get me wrong, I like the film, it's well shot, looks great and makes me feel exactly how it should. My issue? Elle Fanning. This isn't me hating her because she is prettier than me or more successful or because she is famous, it's because she is 13 years old.

Women who buy Rodarte's clothes do not look like 13 years old girls, do not have their body, do not think the way they do and have a lot more money, so why use her as a muse? She does not create a character that people can relate to, and ordinary 13 year olds do not think about what Rodarte will produce next.

There's an increasing number of very young 'role models' appearing in the fashion industry, and I do not like it one bit. Once again, not because at the age of 10 they are dressed head-to-toe in Chanel or Christian Lacroix, but because it is not realistic for the actual market. People who can afford the fashion at these levels are much older as that is the only way you can gain the money, through working. It also just makes you feel a bit rubish, when you are expected to want to 'aspire' to be like someone half your age.

So, after that rant, HERE is the video.

Give me your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment